Saturday, September 23, 2017

Things I Have Learned......

Results of a Fall
You know how people always say it could have been worse?  Well, truer words were never spoken this week.   Early in the morning on Sept 18th I fell dislocating fingers 3, 4 and 5 on my right hand.  Fingers 4 and 5 went back into place with heavy sedation and a pull.  Finger 3 required surgery, stitches and a soft wrap to fix.  Now I am at home resting and healing.  I have had a time to think and the result will be a few blog posts about what I have learned through this experience.

What I have learned 9-18 to 9-23


  • I have some really great friends, especially Marge who took to the hospital and stayed with me for hours
  • I always try to be the best patient I can be, it can make a very trying experience somewhat better, if that is possible.
  • Using a pepper grinder is out for a while, using black pepper in the can.
  • I am somewhat ambidextrous and that is a blessing in this case.
  • while I try to be a good patient, I DO NOT LIKE getting my blood pressure taken every 4 hours, it hurts people.  That automatic BP machine puts a death grip on your arm.  About the same pressure as the masochistic mammogram machine
  • I can make greeting cards with my left hand Yay!!!!!!  
  • Cutting up my food is a challenge, but I will not starve
  • It truly could have been worse, I could have broken my leg, broken my arm...so I am so thankful and have been letting God know this all week.
  • greatest invention ever, sleeve to cover arm and wrap to keep it dry when taking a shower
  • I have to learn to slow down and take it easy.


That is my list for this week. Next week I am going to try art journaling with my non-dominant hand, should be interesting and fun.

until then.......pilgrim

8 comments:

Rose Tresures said...

awwwww, so sorry for your fall!!! praying for a speedy recovery for you. i do know about falls. and what i have learned is that although i am fluffy, i don't bounce. hehehe God is good all the time and He will take care of you. hugs!!!! patty

Pilgrim said...

Patty you are so kind, thanks so much

Linda Lee said...

I'm glad to see you're keeping your sense of gratitude and humor! Having just spent 6 weeks in an immobilizer sling after reverse shoulder replacement on my right (dominant) side, I can attest to the trials and frustrations of chopping things, unwrapping things, personal hygiene things, etc. It keeps us humble and laughing at ourselves!

Von said...

Bless your heart Glenda! I have broken bones and have had surgeries and know none of it is easy ... but a hand!!! Praise God indeed for good friends and meals that don't need sharp knives and another hand to turn out Bible pages and lift in prayerful thanks. (((hugs))) You are in my prayers. 🙏💙🙏

Diana Trout {Nan.DT@verizon.net} said...

oh no :) Poor baby. Take good care. I have a terrible time slowing down too, Glenda. The aging process is a constant adjustment. Sending love your ways. Email me your address?

Pilgrim said...

Von, Diana and Linda, thanks so much for your comments. This has been an eye opening experience.

Win Dinn, Artist said...

Well, haven't you had a time of it. Wishing you a speedy recovery, Glenda. I love it that you're taking the learning time seriously; when you're back at it I suspect your art will change with it!!

Pilgrim said...

Thank you Win