Friday, May 16, 2014

Day 2 of Bring Back Our Girls Art Auction

 
 


Dear Reader, I have been thinking about something and decided to write about it today. Today, Friday May 16th is the second day of the Art Auction to benefit GirlRising.com.  It is amazing because I am participating with some really spectacular artists.  The painting above is my contribution to this project and I have received some BIDS!!!!  Oh be still my heart.

As I think back over my life, especially the past few years, I would have never imagined that I would be participating in such a worthwhile endeavor or that I would be able to paint such a portrait.  As a child, I loved to draw.  I was pretty much a loner and spent many hours in my room drawing.  I taught myself to do many things in the comfort of my room.  I made my own patterns for doll clothes and made clothes for my dolls.  I taught myself to knit, I made games because we could not afford to buy them.  I read a lot of books and at the age of 15 began to write poetry.

At the age of 17 I was admitted to the University of Michigan.  It was 1967 and U of M was woefully lacking in minority students.  In fact less than one percent of the student population was African American.  It was a big deal in my family to be accepted to U of M, but to the school I was part of a means to keeping federal funding.  They had to let us in, but they did not have to Keep us.  Those who were strong made it, those who were weak or very sensitive like me did not.  I was told I could not write, was not the right fit, yada yada yada.....

I came home pregnant, went to work and took classes off and on at the community college where I felt comfortable.  In 1999 I finished my journey and graduated from Wayne State University with honors. 

I now think about these young girls in Nigeria who risk their lives everyday to get an education so that they can have a better life.  I think about them and wish I had known at 17 what I know now...never let anyone cause you to doubt your good.

GirlRising.com and all other programs designed to help young girls receive an education are a God send and what ever I can do to promote their cause I will.  It has taken me many years to overcome the self doubt.  What I pray for is that young girls all over the world are praised and appreciated for their courage and strength.  I pray that they become examples for all so that we never again doubt our worth as viable participants on the world stage.  Please visit www.girlrising.com to get more information about this worthwhile endeavor. 

I have been blessed with bids, there are some paintings that have not, please consider stopping by and bidding.  Love to you...pilgrim

7 comments:

Astrid Maclean said...

A stunning make and a wonderful addition to this fantastic initiative! I am happy and proud to be there along with you!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing what you are carrying in your heart for years.
Thank you for this beautiful testimony.
We are women and we know to be educated is important.Our rights, our humans rights are to have an education! I am so glad to be side by side, with you all in this journey. Hope for all the girls in the world. Hope for all these girls in Nigeria.xo

Kristin said...

Awe, WHAT a wonderful post - had to read it (from Facebook) - and YOU are an inspiration! xo

Marjie Kemper said...

A beautiful post AND a beautiful painting. So glad to be part of this effort with you.

The Creative Beast said...

Thank you for sharing your personal story Glenda. So much of it resonated for me as a self reliant child making her own doll clothes to struggling with higher education or lack of funding for it. It saddens me that in this day and age it is STILL dangerous for those who want an eduction to strive and reach for it, especially for young girls of color. Thank you for shedding light on this situation and the efforts of the artists (like YOU!) who are using their creativity to fight this terrible injustice. Together, artists will make some great changes in this world!

Pilgrim said...

Thank you all for your kind comments and words of encouragement and understanding. These last few days have truly been a spiritual journey. I really appreciate each one of you.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful painting and beautiful words!