Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Blog-a-long 13/30: Random Thoughts Tuesday Giving Myself Permission

First weaving project by momoo50
First weaving project, a photo by momoo50 on Flickr.


I have the tendency to want to do everything perfectly and many times perfection is no realistic.  One of the classes I took at Stitches Midwest was making the Log Cabin Scarf on the rigid heddle loom.  My goal for taking weaving classes was to learn how to warp a loom.  I bought a rigid heddle loom about 5 years ago and the teacher a the neighborhood yarn shop moved to Utah soon afterward so the loom has been in storage, and I wanted to learn how to use it.  I love the feel of the fabric made from weaving.  Anyhoo back to the Log Cabin Scarf.

I entered the classroom with a negative attitude convinced that I would not be able to do the work.  In fact I had decided that I would leave the class if it go to be too much.  Well, suffice it to say my self fulfilling prophecy was coming true at the beginning.  I liked the warping process but my warp stand fell on the floor with my yarns still on it.  The turquoise was tied off so it did not suffer from the fall.  The coppery orange was not finished so it became raveled and I had to start over.  No problem because I had gotten comfortable with wrapping the warp.  I followed the other steps to get the loom set for weaving, I was slow and that made me feel inadequate.  My inner critic kept telling me to just give up.  I finally caught up by spending part of lunch working.  So when class began again I was ready to weave.

The Log Cabin design required the use of two shuttles and you have to remember which one goes on top and the bottom so that you can wrap the yarn. After many starts and stops I think I got the first 6 pairs done (I could not figure out how to count).  We had a wonderful teacher Debbie Jarchow.  She was very patient and encouraging.   Well she was showing us finished products and mentioned that many times she varied the pattern on her scarves and that we did not have to stick to the log cabin pattern.  Lights and bells went off in my head.  I immediately changed directions.  I used one shuttle back and forth, back and forth.  I switched colors so that turquoise was dominant and then the coppery orange.  It was wonderful and freeing.  I sat at my loom humming and smiling.  I had given myself permission to let go and just enjoy the process.  I had given myself permission to embrace my own design and just have fun.  The picture above is the outcome.  Because I waited so long to change I did not get a chance to make a 72 inch scarf, but it is long enough to wear especially with the fringe.

I learned to quiet my inner critic, not give up and give myself permission to just plain old have fun.  I thank Debbie for her kindness and understanding.

2 comments:

ArtfulLee Designed said...

wonderful post Glenda on following what our heart wants to do instead of what we think we should do. Thanks for sharing

Pilgrim said...

Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog.