Saturday, August 17, 2013

Blog-a-long day 17/30 - Overcoming Fears



I have posted this painting before, but looking at it makes me understand the thoughts and yearnings I have been having.  I have been taking a lot of on-line classes this year learning to paint and draw.  In these classes we use the inspiration of the teacher to create a work of art and it has been great; however, I have this sincere desire to just pick up the paint and paint brush and just paint something coming from me.  This strikes great fear because I do not know if I have it in me, 

The picture above was painted in a painting class I took and the University of Nevada-Las Vegas  three years ago.  The teacher showed us a similar picture and said in three hours we would have a painting done.  The first thing that came to my mind was "No way Jose"  I would not be able to do it.  Needless to say I did complete the painting.  It is done on 18x24 watercolor paper using acrylic paint.

I want to uae a photo that I have taken and do an interpretation with paint, so I am giving myself an assignment.  My birthday is Nov. 14th and I am painting a birthday present to myself.  I am giving myself permission to try and I promise to post the painting no matter the result.

Overcoming my fears has been a lifelong struggle but I refuse to give up.  If I can conquer cancer, I can do anything.

Thanks for stopping by.  Have a great day

2 comments:

The Creative Beast said...

This is a wonderful painting and a wonderful, inspiring blog post =-)

And I agree that is you can conquer cancer, then conquering your art fears should be a walk in the park!

I look forward to seeing the painting you create for your birthday, fellow Scorpio! (my b-day is just three days after yours)

Unknown said...

Wow that is a beautiful painting. I have no doubt that you can do anything you set your mind to! Thank you south for your kind words today. And I can't wait to see your canvas. Please reach out if I can be of any help or encouragement!