Sunday, May 29, 2011

I have to do it my way......

I realized today that I really have to stop worrying about what others think.  What do I mean you ask?  I live alone.  I eat dinner at a tv tray and have a large dining room table that sits empty.  This table allows me the space I need to create; my drafting table is just too small.

I became ashamed after a friend made comments about my arts and crafts taking over.  I really felt bad and moved all of my thing from the table.  It looks very pretty, but, it is begging to be used.  I can hear it calling me, "use me to make cards, use me to make books, my molecules miss you."

It was then I realized that I put too much stock in what others think.  I stopped knitting and crocheting for over 10 years because my husband thought it was a waste of time.  How sad.  I stopped making cards because I convinced myself that the work wasn't good enough.  I stopped going within because I thought nothing was there.  How sad.

This is the funny part.  My husband died in January of 2001.  I was sitting the basement one Saturday morning in October and the thought hit me "Hey....there is no one to complain about me knitting..." I turned off the TV went to the yarn shop and bought yarn and needles and have been knitting and crocheting ever since.  I have made some of the best gifts.....

I am in the process of putting my art supplies back on the table.  My cutting mat is in place.  I have the most beautiful plant in the middle of the table and it will stay there.....it brings life to the creations.  Oh I feel so happy to be able to look at my table and see the things that make my heart sing.  I have made thank you cards, completed ATC for the Wild Card Swap and have startd backgrounds for the June Swap.  Gosh am I happy.

So, I am going to use the rest of my life perfecting my way of doing things.....should prove to be very interesting,

until next time......

2 comments:

Jo Anne O. said...

You go girl! Live your life the way YOU deem to, after all...it IS YOURs and no one elses!!!

Regina said...

I'm so glad you decided to move back to your table. I do a lot of work at my dinner table too. It's in the middle of all my family action and I like to watch my kids play and listen to the joyful sounds.

Sometimes I worry a lot what my friends think too. Then I remember who I want to be and I shake it off and feel so much better when I do.

[{HUGS}]